Thursday, January 3, 2013

Shopping. Grocery Shopping! : )

Last night I realized that we were starting to run out of food for dinner. We had lots of miscellaneous items such as grapefruit cups, yogurt, milk and beer, but not much to make a meal out of.

I was able to scrounge up enough ingredients to make quinoa black bean chili. I modified this chili recipe and used quinoa instead of ground meat. (Cook the quinoa prior to simmering the beans and tomatoes) I used the red quinoa so it looked sort of meaty. It made quite a bit so there are left overs for lunch until the weekend! This is my favorite chili recipe. I highly recommend it!

It's a bit chilly here in Southern California so I decided to break out the crockpot and start making some soups. I found some yummy looking ones on Pinterest. The one I'm making tonight is Cheesy Vegetable Chowder.

I used:
1 Yellow Onion Diced
4 Small Red Potatoes Chopped
4 Stalks of Celery Chopped
Tbsp. of Minced Garlic
Trader Joe's:
Organic Foursome
Frozen Broccoli Florets
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (2 Cartons)



I started it a bit late so I put it on high and hopefully it will be done by the time my hubby gets home! I am going to add the flour, milk and cheese about 30 minutes before serving. Check out the link to the recipe and I'll post an update and let you all know how it turned out!


***Update***
Well I used my crockpot and this didn't turn out like the picture. I think I added too much broth and the frozen veggies might have also diluted the soup. I added more flour and cheese to try to thicken it up, but it was still really watery and the flavor was a bit bland. I will try this again maybe next month, but will go use the stovetop method.

I think I might cook up some white quinoa tonight to add some oomph to it tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment